[Federated-fs] Conf call notes from 6/25/2007

Touretsky, Gregory gregory.touretsky at intel.com
Wed Jun 27 08:32:12 PDT 2007

>> But how clients would become aware of the existence of such
>> caching appliance?
>> Let's say we have /nfs/dir/junctionA path, which should bring
>> us to the data located at filesetA. FilesetA belongs to cell
>> ABC.com in the US, and clients from the same network would
>> get the data directly. Now, we have clients in Bangalore that
>> require access to the same data. To optimize such access,
>> we've deployed caching appliance (or even simply replicated
>> the data) to some fileset in Bangalore. I want the ability to
>> ensure clients in Bangalore first approach local copy
>> (whether cached or
>> replicated) before trying to access the original fileset overseas.

>Why not publish the Bangalore site as a replica of the fileset, adding
>an FSL?
Might be the solution. What is the logic behind replica selection? Let's
say, we have 2 networks in the US site, and the 3rd one in Bangalore.
Can we ensure that clients from both networks in the US will always
start from the US replica, and clients in Bangalore will always start
from the Bangalore replica?
Also, in some cases, I'd be interested in something more granular than
subnet. For example, use netgroup membership as a criteria for
mountpoint resolution