[Federated-fs] discussion on bootstrapping clients

Spencer Shepler Spencer.Shepler at Sun.COM
Sun May 18 02:30:05 PDT 2008

On May 17, 2008, at 7:10 PM, Ellard, Daniel wrote:

> Regarding the automounter, yes, this could be done by a module in
> something extensible like autofs.  That would be a fine vehicle for
> getting the top-level working, but that doesn't addess all of the
> issues.  The first issue is what the autofs module needs to do to get
> the info it requires (not a big deal, but it needs to be speced).  The
> second, and in my opinion more important, issue is about
> configuration.
> Right now, when I set up autofs on a new unixy machine, I have to copy
> several scripts and config files and create some directories and
> symlinks (and these operations require root or sudo) -- and these are
> neither portable nor user-friendly.  I'd like to improve on that.
> We'd
> really like users to be able to utter a reasonably mnemonic name
> for the
> the filesystem they want, and have it appear in their namespace (if
> accessible, etc) without any more fuss.

This is my opinion as well.  In short, any configuration to enable
this feature other than turning the switch to "on" is too burdensome.
The feature set may be contained within the automounter as an
implementation choice but there must be one switch and a reasonable
standard of defacto to specified behavior that leads to usefulness.

Spencer